Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Worthwhile projects

I've only recently started using Linux myself (Ubuntu) I get paid to know Micrsoft after all.

But the Helios project is one of the coolest things I've come across lately!
http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/

If you have a dollar to spare, please consider a donation.

For those who are unaware, or cannot decipher, their mission:

The HeliOS Project builds and gives Linux computers to disadvantaged or exceptionally promising students.
We have found that people are most inclined to support an effort when we do things like this. What a great way to support a project that both aids the Linux Community and the greater community as a whole.

To date this year, we have built and placed 315 Linux computers with kids that normally would not have been able to afford a computer for their school work. Add this effort to our Linux Labs and you have a well-rounded effort that benefits everyone. Our HeliOS Project has inspired others to do the same thing in other communities and we're proud to help them any way we can.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work as a volunteer for The HeliOS Project and I'm not sure what the negative tones of the comments are all about. The guy works a full time job, comes home and runs a full time, legitimate Texas Non Profit Charity. The dude sleeps about 4 hours a night and devotes his life to helping those others will not help. He doesn't look for publicity or recognition, he just does what he does and doesn't much care about what anyone says about him.

    I've never met a more caring and giving person in my life. Aside from that, he's both smart AND funny. That is a rarity among most geeks in my experience.

    I thought Linux was dumpster material until I actually sat down and used it. I am a computer idiot and I figured it out in about 30 minutes. Just like windows, see icon, click icon, stuff happens.

    Most of my Windows apps will run on it and I never, ever have to use antivirus software. You can't get the garbage on Linux you get on Windows. While I do still use Windows at work, I find myself absolutely hating it more an more. In Linux you can do things in one click it takes 6 to do in Windows.

    Starks is a great guy and I don't volunteer my time to many causes. His I will continue to support until I am unable.

    Andrew Magnus
    Austin Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look, I'm not suggesting that the guy eats babies, is a communist, or get enough sleep (although his propensity to sleep really shouldn't enter into the conversation). Is he giving, caring, funny, smart, rare, geeky, etc? Possibly, although these are all reasons that various hot chicks have given for why I'm so great that they don't want to date me.

    The HeliOS project (at least until very recently) had no established presence outside Texas that would legitimize it. A free blog site is not really the best place to put up a link to Paypal and say you are a charity. My only suggestion was to hold back an endorsement until there was some documentation stating what the initiative was intended to do, what it was doing, and where donated money was going.

    These are perfectly reasonable expectations, and anyone running a legitimate charity should be able to see the benefit in proper homework before giving. Questioning the validity of the charity is not a slight on the person running it, the people working for him, or their mothers; it is a prudent action.

    ReplyDelete

Do no harm.